Thursday, September 17, 2009

Character Re-Design

Sorry for the late post! I underestimated my workload today.

All right, Guardian. I've talked about it before. It's one of the few series I've managed to draw full cast references for; "super" references are here, and their "secret identities" can be found here. If you can't tell who goes with who, they are lined up in the same order in each cast.

Got that? Good. Because now, I tell you I'm going to update all the references. Some of the characters will look different; others just get a bit of a style change. Tonight, I started with the third guy from the right--his name is Michael Faraday.


Michael's character concept can be described in a few words: "thin," "introverted," "old-fashioned," "striking." I wanted him to be attractive, but not in the gorgeous girly way or the jock way. It wasn't an easy task.

In the end, I turned to photographs for inspiration. This particular draft of Michael was modeled after Adrien Brody, who is not "good looking" by conventional terms but is still very striking. I'm not sure how well I got it, but you can see the resemblance in the nose, at least.

1 comment:

  1. GO YAKO GO! I am excited for this 8D lord knows I've redone RR refs three times so far. hopefully I won't have to again.

    ReplyDelete