Sunday, February 28, 2010

DARKER and EDGIER

Early post today since I have homework and I don't want this hovering over my head.

So, The Guardian. I've mentioned it a few times here before. Basically, it is about a kid who discovers he has superhuman powers in a world where they have been believed impossible. Soon it is revealed that there are millions of others like him across the globe; they have just kept themselves secret. When they reveal themselves, they face great discrimination. Some wish to take up arms against humanity; others strive for equality using peaceful measures. The kid decides to fight against the superhuman movement (hoping it will enable people to see that they're not all bad) and becomes the Guardian.

I think of it as a sister-story to Nightmare City; a prequel which features a bunch of characters who will not appear in the sequel. The tone is much darker, more like a gritty superhero reboot. So the universe goes in the opposite direction of most comic book universes, from "DARK AND EDGY" to "LET'S ALL BE COLORFUL AND HAVE FUN!"

With that explanation out of the way, here is my design for the Guardian:


I like this design a lot. I wanted a gritty reboot design keeping a few elements from the previous version of the Guardian (gun holster strapped to leg, monochrome/red color scheme) and I think I almost nailed it here. There are a few things I'd like to change; the mask looks too Jason Vorhees to me and the sleeves blend into his wings, but these are pretty minor problems. I am a happy person.

And here's Logan, aka X, a highly emotional psychic the Guardian encounters occasionally:


Much better than yesterday's drawing, though I still can't figure out why I draw his hands like that.

GEE, I WONDER WHAT COULD HAVE POSSIBLY INSPIRED HIS CLOTHING DESIGN.

2 comments:

  1. "more like a gritty superhero reboot" Love this analogy.

    I like the Guardian design, the hair is cool and the white face mask. It reminds me of an Edward and Michael Jackson hybrid, and I say that positively!

    ReplyDelete