Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Design Tweaking

Today I will tell you about how I've mostly finalized the looks for the four vigilantes of Nightmare City!


This is the colored version of the picture from last night. Before I tweaked anyone else, I made a few changes to Lily. Her design was a bit needlessly complicated. Comparing her here to her reference, You'll notice she's lost her pockets, the piping on the shoulders, and two stripes on each sleeve. The buckled bands on the end of each sleeve have been replaced with piping. Her jacket also closes differently, but that's just a mistake I didn't catch until now. Her jacket should still button the other way.


I've been drawing the Professor with dark hair recently, so I change that. Now, the first big problem I see is that the Red Menace has way more color on him than anyone else and thus sticks out too much. I try and change the coat to white. As you can see, the result is hideous.



I change the coat to black and then change most of the white highlights to red. I like this look, but it has created a new problem: the Professor is the only one with a lot of white in the cast, and now he sticks out.


This sticking out is a big problem; I consider his labcoat to be a pretty important element of his design. Removing the coat would also remove the sort of jackety theme I have here. I could color the labcoat black, but seriously, anyone with a black labcoat is trying too hard. Instead I try to mask the problem by making the coat cover less surface area. My eye isn't fooled.

But Mysterie has a flaw that could be more easily fixed...


Remember what I said about everyone having a sort of jackety/military theme? Well obviously Mysterie doesn't. I realize that by adding that theme I could balance the white better and therefore unify the cast. Unfortunately, the poncho I design hides her characteristic boobs.


So the poncho becomes a form-fitting white jacket. With this, the vigilantes flow.


And right before I make this blog post, I make Lily and Anna's jackets button correctly. So there you have it: the vigilantes of Nightmare City.

1 comment: